BMA Artwork



Egon Schiele
Old City, I
I think the composition is either the golden triangle or rule of thirds. The main house that is orange is the focal point and it is triangular. But the piece is also roughly divided into thirds horizontally. The sky, the main house, and the rest of the city below. 
This painting conveys an eerie and ominous feeling. The one colorful house could be "watching" over the other buildings. It was hard to outline the city below, but the more time I spent observing it I noticed new lines that formed into building outlines.
This was my favorite piece because of the perspective. The viewer is looking out across the town and can see one building that clearly stands out. I also liked that you are rewarded for patiently observing. There is much to uncover when looking at this painting.

Paul Gauguin
Upaupa Schneklud (The Player Schneklud)
Gauguin used the golden triangle in his painting of a cellist. His arms and the cello create a triangle and his gaze downward helps the eyes move around the painting.
I liked this piece because I could sense his concentration while playing and picture his arms in motion. He and his instrument fill the frame and gives it a grand sensation, like he could be playing for a celebration.

Henri Matisse
Young Woman at the Window, Sunset
Matisse employs the rule of thirds. The woman is in the third on the right, in the foreground and looking out at the street in the background. The window divides the rest of the painting.
I was drawn to this piece because of its simplicity. There is not much detail, but there is still depth. Matisse used simple strokes to create leaves, people in the distance, and patterns on her clothing. There is a longing in the painting that transports the observer into the woman's view. I imagined myself as her looking down on the street and ocean below.



Comments

Popular Posts